In November 2014, The Department for Education advised that head teachers and other staff of maintained schools who are responsible for curriculum matters, and governing bodies should ensure that they promote pupils’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural (SMSC) development as well as promoting fundamental British values.
At Epinay Business and Enterprise school we actively promote British values which could mean challenging opinions or behaviours in school that are contrary to fundamental British values. The Teachers’ Standards expect teachers to uphold public trust in the profession and maintain high standards of ethics and behaviour, within and outside school. This includes not undermining fundamental British values.
- Through their provision of SMSC, Epinay Business and Enterprise school will:
- enable students to develop their self-knowledge, self-esteem and self-confidence;
- enable students to distinguish right from wrong and to respect the civil and criminal law of England;
- encourage students to accept responsibility for their behaviour, show initiative, and to understand how they can contribute positively to the lives of those living and working in the locality of the school and to society more widely;
- enable students to acquire a broad general knowledge of and respect for public institutions and services in England;
- further tolerance and harmony between different cultural traditions by enabling students to acquire an appreciation of and respect for their own and other cultures;
- encourage respect for other people; and
- encourage respect for democracy and support for participation in the democratic processes, including respect for the basis on which the law is made and applied in England.
Opportunities will be available through the school curriculum to address these matters as well through the ethos at Epinay Business and Enterprise School, which will endeavour to ensure that our pupils have a good understanding of the role within the community.
You can find more information by clicking the link below: